New employee

Welcome to CC!

We are a large school with many corners that you need to know in order to be able to succeed in your daily work. In the FAQ below, we have compiled some of the most frequently asked questions about the School of Communication and Culture (CC) with short answers and links to more information.

Management team at CC

Unni From is Head of School. The School Management also consists of Deputy Head of School Jody Pennington, Deputy Head of School Carsten Stage, Director of Studies Lars Kiel Bertelsen and Head of secretariat Tine Arsinevici and the nine heads of department.

You can get an overview of the overall management team here

Contact Head of School: and Director of Studies:

Where is the school located on campus?

The School of Communication and Culture is physically located on the addresses:

  • Langelandsgade 139, (Kasernen), building 1580, 8000 Aarhus C
  • Jens Chr. Skous Vej 2 (Nobelparken), building 1485, 8000 Aarhus C
  • Jens Chr. Skous Vej 4 (Nobelparken), building 1481, 8000 Aarhus C
  • Helsingforsgade 14 (Katrinebjerg), buildings 5347and 5335, 8200 Aarhus N

See a map of the department's locations here

How is the secretariat organised?

The School Secretariat is organised with offices at Katrinebjerg, the Nobel Park and Kasernen along with local department secretaries at all locations. Head of School, Director of Studies and the Leading Secretariat is located at Kasernen.

Find an overview of the secretariat's employees here

What subjects and departments are there?

The school consists of 9 departments:

  • The Department of Comparative Literature and Rhetoric
  • The Department of Media and Journalism Studies
  • The Department of Digital Design and Information Studies
  • The Department of English
  • The Department of Dramaturgy and Musicology
  • The Department of Scandinavian Studies and Experience Economy
  • The Department of Linguistics, Cognitive Science and Semiotics
  • The Department of German and Romance Languages
  • The Department of Art History, Aesthetics & Culture and Museology

Read more about the school's departments and subjects here

Boards and committees at the school

The school forum consists of members of the academic staff, members of the technical/administrative staff and students. This is a central advisory body for the head of school and is responsible for ensuring that all the school’s decisions are based on ideation, quality, transparency and legitimacy. The forum also helps to create an academic and social identity for the school. 

The research committee advises and supports the head of school, who has overall responsibility for the school’s research strategy and production. The research committee is chaired by the head of school and also consists of the research programme directors, the directors of the three PhD programmes, and a representative of each of the two cross-disciplinary research programmes at the Faculty of Arts. 

There is a single board of studies at the School of Communication and Culture, under which there is one degree programme board for each department. These boards are responsible for the academic development and quality assurance of the school’s degree programmes. The executive committee of the board of studies is responsible for processing student applications for credit transfer, advance approval and dispensation. 

The liaison committees are organised as follows: 


The occupational health and safety committees are organised as follows: 

The house committees at the School of Communication and Culture consist of representatives of the academic staff, the technical/administrative staff and the students. These committees discuss the layout and use of rooms and communal areas, as well as other issues. A house committee has been set up at all the school’s units, with the following contacts: 

You will find a list of all the school’s councils, boards and committees here 

How can I contact my colleagues?

You will find contact information for all members of staff at AU in this search box

You can find the school’s mailing lists by opening the address book in Outlook and entering #CC. Please don’t send mails to everyone at the school or everyone in a specific location unless you really need to. 

All members of staff are expected to use the Outlook calendar to register their activities, making it easier to book meetings and plan exams. You will find guidelines about using Outlook here 

You will find a template for your mail signature here 

Who is my union representative?

Find your union representative via AU Staff Service

How do I get help with my computer/IT equipment?

Your department secretary will order a computer and phone for you when the period of your employment starts. If you have any IT problems, please contact Arts IT Support (at the helpdesk or by phone). You will find their contact information to Arts IT Support here

Contact your department secretary if you have any doubts about your access to the right drives/folders. 

You can also contact Arts IT Support if you have any questions about drives/file sharing. 

 You can read about information security, appropriate backup of files etc. at Information Security (

How do I register holidays and absences?

You must inform your department secretary when you’re ill (and when you’re fit for work again), and when you need to take what are known as “childcare days” or time off work due to your child’s illness. This must be done in the morning of the first day of absence (and the first day you report fit for work again). You must also register your holidays with the department secretary: 

If you need to cancel your teaching, you must announce this on Brightspace. You must inform your line manager if you are ill for more than two weeks. Read more about illness/absence

In connection with parental leave and adoption, please contact your line manager in good time. You can check the rules about this here

How can I advertise events or news items?

Open events can be posted on the school’s external website Events and news items for staff can be posted on the staff portal MIKK and perhaps in the newsletter as well. 

The web editor at your department can help you to post events in the calendar. More information and templates for advertising events and posting news items

Arts Communication can help you with press contact, conference support and language services.

Where can I find help to book rooms and get my key card?

You can find information about key card and other relevant local information on this site.

If you need to change the date or time of a single lesson or book a classroom for extra teaching (ad hoc booking), please contact Arts Studies Administration at    

Where can I find information about degree programmes and academic regulations?

You will find a list of the school’s degree programmes here. You can also find a list of the individual courses that we offer students, including a description of course content and practical information, in the AU course catalogue

Each course is subject to academic regulations. You can find the academic regulations for degree programmes at the School of Communication and Culture here

The teaching and exams are planned by Arts Studies Administration. All our degree programmes have designated contact staff at the Studies Administration office: find them here

You will find a list of the semester’s teaching (including room numbers) here: Timetables

You will find contact information for the school’s programme management and education consultants here: For teachers

How do I book trips?

You must be registered in the RejsUd travel and expense claim system when your employment starts. Your department secretary can help you to do this. 

Tickets must be booked through Carlson Wagonlit Travel (CWT) or directly from an airline company (for instance). AU has a regular agreement with CWT, so staff may not book tickets via other travel agencies or search engines such as Momondo or Your department secretary can help you create a travel profile with CWT. You must prepare your travel expense reports yourself, but your department secretary can help you to get started. 

CWT can be contacted on tel. 3363 7744 or at 

We recommend that you get an AU credit card in good time before you leave. You also need to order a travel insurance card to ensure that you are covered during your trip. Please note that you need to get the signature of the head of school or secretariat manager on both of the two forms you need in this connection. 

Travel policy at Aarhus University 

What do I need to know about purchases and invoicing?

The school provides a workstation for you with a telephone and standard IT equipment. You are welcome to use the photocopier and printer, and office supplies are available. If you need to make any minor purchases, your department secretary is normally happy to help. 

Other purchases require: 

  • that you have external funding to cover such purchases 
  • that your head of school, head of department or research programme director has granted you the necessary funding for this purpose 
  • that such purchases are made because you are representing the school in an official capacity, which is why the head of school has granted funding (write to

If you make purchases on Aarhus University’s behalf, you must always comply with the current purchasing agreements as well as the rules on entertainment expenses and refreshments, among other things. AU’s purchasing policy and rules on entertainment expenses and refreshments must also be observed when external funding is involved. 

Purchasing agreements apply regardless of whether purchases are invoiced directly to Aarhus University, or whether you pay first and get your expenses reimbursed later. 

Electronic invoice system (IndFak2) 

In connection with purchases from Danish companies, AU only accepts electronic invoices using the EAN system. 

So when you make a purchase, you must ask the supplier to send the invoice to the school’s EAN no.: 5798000418363, and you must state your department secretary’s name on the invoice. The invoice will then be forwarded to the right person in IndFak2. Please inform the department secretary via email when you place orders. 

Purchases from suppliers abroad are subject to agreement with your department secretary.